Choosing the right plastic surgeon is one of the most important decisions you’ll make when considering a plastic surgery procedure. Not only is it essential to find a plastic surgeon who is experienced and knowledgeable but also one who is caring, compassionate, and attentive to your individual needs and goals.
From selecting the right procedure to preparing for surgery and following post-operative instructions, your plastic surgeon is integral to your safety and aesthetic results.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon
It’s no secret that plastic surgery carries certain risks and requires special attention to safety protocols. An experienced and knowledgeable plastic surgeon will provide you with a high level of care and ensure your procedure is performed in the safest possible environment.
A board certified plastic surgeon possesses the necessary skills and qualifications to perform the procedure with the highest degree of precision and is committed to providing optimal aesthetic and functional results. Your plastic surgeon can help you select a procedure suitable for your body type and lifestyle
How To Choose the Top Plastic Surgeon in Ottawa
Choosing the best plastic surgeon in Ottawa is not easy, so it’s important to do your research. You can also use online search tools such as board certifications, awards from renowned organizations, ratings, and reviews to help narrow your list of potential plastic surgeons. Once you’ve found a few promising doctors, do a quick online search for their credentials, as well as their academic background, publication history, and professional experience.
After you’ve compiled a list of candidates, it’s time to make a consultation appointment with each one. During this appointment, ask plenty of questions about the procedure and be upfront about your expectations and concerns. You should also ask to see before and after photos of past procedures.
7 Steps to Take Before Choosing a Plastic Surgeon
- Research Your Options: Before committing to a specific plastic surgeon, do your homework and research the available options. Make sure you’re familiar with each surgeon’s credentials, experience, and reputation before narrowing down your choices. Spend some time reading through online reviews and asking for referrals from friends or family members who have gone through a similar procedure.
- Meet the Surgery Team: When it comes down to making your final decision, schedule a face-to-face consultation with the plastic surgeon and their staff. Ask any questions you have, such as experience, specialty, and level of training. Make sure that these individuals have your well-being in mind and that you feel comfortable with them.
- Investigate Credentials and Training: Check their credentials before committing to a specific surgeon. Ensure that your surgeon is certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and has the appropriate certification with either the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons or the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Check that they have undergone extensive training in plastic surgery beyond their MD, such as a formal residency program at an accredited university.
- Ask About the Procedure: When interviewing your potential plastic surgeons, ask about the procedure and how they plan on making it safe and successful. Ask questions about hospital privileges, anesthesia, aftercare, and follow-up treatment. Request a detailed description and illustration of how they plan to perform the procedure and any associated risks.
- Check for Complaints: Before making your final decision, investigate the Board of Plastic Surgeon’s website to check for potential complaints or disciplinary action against the surgeons on the list. This will help you understand the quality of care and type of service you can expect from the surgeon.
- Consider Specializations: Make sure you select a plastic surgeon who is specialized and experienced in the type of operation you are interested in. This is important not only for your safety but also to ensure you get the results that you desire.
- Follow Your Intuition: A plastic surgeon may have the right education, credentials, and experience, but one of the most important factors to consider when selecting a plastic surgeon is how comfortable and confident you feel with them. Follow your instinct and trust your gut. If you don’t feel good about the surgeon, go elsewhere.
If you have a preferred surgery date, do not wait until it’s too late
New Age Medical Aesthetics & Plastic Surgery is a very active aesthetic practice. If you have a preferred surgery date, do not wait until it’s too late. Call (613) 595-1880 to reserve your consultation. Our Patient Coordinators are happy to help you.