Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer in Ottawa
Even though breast implants have been around for decades and have been used in millions of surgeries, some women prefer to avoid medical devices when augmenting their breasts. Fat grafting is an excellent alternative to implant-based breast augmentation for these patients. This operation uses your body’s own fat to provide permanent, natural results.
Dr. Ian MacArthur is a Top Rated, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Ottawa who can help you achieve the aesthetic results you desire.
A cutting-edge procedure
Am I a good Candidate for Breast Augmentation with Fat Grafting?
The first part of the surgery involves liposuction to harvest healthy fat cells. Usually, the fat is taken from the hips, thighs, and back if needed. Liposuction is a safe, minimally invasive procedure that uses tiny, hidden incisions to remove the fat directly beneath the skin. Any area treated with liposuction needs to have good pre-existing skin tone quality.
Once the fat has been harvested, it is processed to remove any damaged fat cells or local anesthetic. It is then injected into the breasts through small incisions hidden in the breast crease and armpit. There is a maximum amount of fat that can be injected into the breasts before it becomes counter-productive.
After surgery, patients are required to wear a compression garment for the areas that underwent liposuction. The compression garment helps the skin heal in a smooth, uniform fashion. A bandage on the chest stays in place for one week. Recovery lasts approximately 4 weeks, although most patients return to work in a week.
The changes of fat grafting are permanent. However, it can take up to 3 months to see the final results—some of the initial fat injected breaks down during the first three months.
About 70% of the fat that was used for augmentation lasts, with the other 30% being metabolized by your body. Because of this, most patients typically proceed with a second fat grafting procedure.